Immigrant Labor and Ancient Maya

My 2021 Books in Review

I personally am not much of a reader, and so the only two books I have read this year were the Popol Vuh and Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies. I have never been much of a reader, other than cartoon books or children's books I read when I was little. I did really like the two books we read in our class this year though, as they were very interesting, and very informational about my culture.

Christenson, Allen J. Popol Vuh: Sacred Book of the Ancient Maya. Brigham Young University, 2007.

  • As I read this book this year, I was very intrigued. The Popol Vuh is basically the Mayan book about the creation of the Hero Twins and their victory over the lords of the underworld. It includes the ideas behind the origin of everything that is what it is today. Most of it people consider Mayan myths, but to me the book was interesting. I have always been into only fictional books, as they seem so new and not normal to this boring world. Just imagine, having Hero Twins that would have to fight off different lords of the underworld, in real life. If you are interested in Mayan history and background, and love detailed and interesting books, this is a great one to get started with.

Holmes, Seth M. Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies Migrant Farmworkers in the United States. Univ. of California Press, 2014.

  • I've got to say, both books this year were very interesting and informational. If you want to dive
    deeper into Latin American culture, this is the book for you. Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies dives deep into how immigrants cross the border and later struggle to survive off of little to no pay for doing countless hours of field work. I really enjoyed this book, and if I had to, I would definitely read it again.

Authority and the People

For my project in Latin Humanities, I was alone instead of in a group. I had chosen a main theme for the class, which was "Authority and the People."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arpilleras and the Pinochet Regime